Ten Compelling Reasons to Opt for Plywood
The debate over the supremacy of solid wood versus plywood has engaged engineered wood manufacturers, furniture makers, enthusiasts, and end users for ages. This perennial discussion has remained relevant since the inception of plywood. Let us explore some indisputable reasons in favour of plywood.
Key Plywood Advantages That Establish Its Superiority
- Exceptional Strength: Wood is significantly stronger along its grain than across it. Plywood, with its cross-layered construction, evenly distributes strength in all directions. When adorned with decorative laminates or wood veneers using adhesives like Phenol Formaldehyde or Urea Formaldehyde, plywood surpasses the strength of solid wood..
- Lightweight Nature: Plywood is substantially lighter than solid wood, making it ideal for crafting various types of furniture. Its versatility surpasses traditional wood, which is often cumbersome and impractical due to its weight.
- Resistance to Splitting: While wood is resilient, it tends to split along the grain under strain. Plywood, thanks to its cross-layered structure, can withstand greater stress and can be nailed or screwed along the edges without damage./li>
- Pest Resistance: Natural wood is vulnerable to termite and borer attacks, posing challenges for protection in its raw form. Plywood is pre-treated with anti-termite and anti-borer chemicals, enhancing its longevity and ensuring a smooth, cavity-free finish.
- Larger Dimensions: Plywood is typically available in larger dimensions than natural wood. Standard plywood sheets measure 8 ft x 4 ft, a size that would be extremely challenging to obtain with a single wooden plank or log. While less common, plywood sheets measuring 6 ft x 25 ft are also available.
- Curved Surface Versatility: Crafting curved surfaces is more feasible with plywood than with solid wood. Plywood offers smoother results for creating curved shapes, whereas chipping wood for curved surfaces rarely achieves the same level of smoothness.
- Greater Square Foot Coverage: Plywood veneer provides greater square foot coverage compared to solid wood
- Environmental Sustainability and Reduced Deforestation: Plywood contributes to timber conservation by minimizing waste resulting from sawing. Additionally, it eliminates the need to manage the waste generated during sawing.
- Enhanced Aesthetics: While natural wood surfaces possess inherent beauty, applying decorative laminates or veneers to plywood surfaces that complement the plywood's natural aesthetics can greatly enhance the product's beauty. The regularity and symmetry of the veneer design further amplify the decorative effect.
- Cost Efficiency: Plywood stands out as a cost-effective alternative to solid wood. Its versatility is matched by a wider range of available designs in the market.